Every year, I enjoy the coming of the fall weather. It’s a break from all of the outdoor. I’ve spent my entire life in this area where we have hot summers and cold winters. It’s always a nice change of climate. Of course, the holiday season keeps us busy and gives us something to look forward to. It isn’t about all those presents on Christmas morning. It’s about making candies and baking cookies. It’s about seeing our family and enjoying the spirit of the season. With that said, after New Year Day, I’m done, bring on my warm weather and sunshine!
This is the best time of year for me to try and get my house in order. I will be working really hard on getting my home organized and working with the kids on their house chore skills. We need a lot of ORGANIZATION. Every September, I get this house under control, but it’s lost with the holidays. A lot of decoration and gifts mean a lot of chaos! Plus, kids inside the bulk of the time tend to mean a lot of usage of indoor things that are not always put away as they should be!
This is also the time of year when I make my big plans for warm weather! Last year, we did the garden and some much needed driveway work, which was a huge addition for us. This past year, my kids were finally at an age where the years of trying to instill hard work into them finally paid off! (Plus, they work cheap!) We also finally did the chicken coop that I’d longed for so long! (Who knew watching chickens could be such great therapy?!) I mean, just because I name gold colored chickens after “The Golden Girls”, it doesn’t mean that I am a fanatic.
What is in store for my poor children this year? Well, so glad you asked, because I am thinking bigger and better!!!
- We are doubling the size of our garden! Plus, I’ve been working on designs to keep my green beans from killing my peas. Those little suckers grew right over top of my poor peas!
- We are building a ramp for our back door! Fun, I know! My father has no way to just drive his electric wheel chair in the house at the moment. Did I mention he’s like my super BFF?! He used to be able to use his walker, and walk in, but his strength isn’t what it used to be now that he’s in his 70s. So, he’s using the wheel chair more often than not. I don’t want him to not be able to come and go as he pleases..so this is one of our top priorities!
- We are getting more hens! This goes hand in hand with my biggest project. Who doesn’t want more chickens?
- We are building a lot for a couple of hogs. That’s right, I said hogs..as in pigs. Nope, we are not getting pets, but we all know I’m going to name them. The older I get, the more I strive for the ability to use this land for things that cost me a lot of money. We eat a lot of bacon, ham, and sausage. I’m not anti-animals, but I’m not a vegetarian either. (FYI My father in law will be assisting me in the end result…cause we should all know, I’m not the pig homicidal type!)
- All of my children are starting their own little business. Crazy mother, I know!!! So, they all like to spend money, and this is a great way for them to earn a little bit and learn a lesson. They must use their phone, social media, person skills to sell. They must work hard at their products to produce. My youngest, currently 8, will be selling his fresh chicken eggs. Now, this is why I’m getting more hens, just a few. He will have to retrieve the eggs daily. (Of course, he’ll only be selling them to friends and family locally, but he must start somewhere.) My daughter, who considers herself a fashion design expert in the making, will be following some simple patterns for making things like tote bags and aprons. My twins? They enjoy working with their hands, and so does their father. He’ll be helping them design some simple signs, tables, and other projects they can easily reproduce. I provide the basics they need to get started…my sewing machine, the chickens, saws and wood for prototypes, etc.
Needless to say, my kids are not as excited as I am, but this will certainly keep us all busy this spring! Some day, they are going to thank me…or at least have a little bit of skill! Wish us luck! 😉 Totally excited to have an even bigger harvest this year!!!